As most men know, numerous mental and physical factors influence the ability to achieve an erection. Once you’ve seen your doctor and ruled out the possibility of more serious health problems, you might want to take a multi faceted approach to dealing with erectile dysfunction. So take up regular exercise and at the same time, look at some of the mental factors that might be getting in the way including boredom or anxiety in the bedroom. There are also some well known herbs and supplement that might prove to be your key to more reliable arousal.
Check Your own ED?
Healthy men normally have several erections during a night’s sleep. Doctors have devices to test this but here’s a simple way to test on your own. Before going to sleep take a single ply tissue, cut a strip and wrap it relatively tightly around your penis. Tape the end. If in the morning the tissue is torn, the chances are you had a nocturnal erection. That’s good news it means you probably don’t have an underlying physical problem to solve but instead, psychological matters to deal with.
• By using Onion
Onion is considered to be an effective aphrodisiac and one of the best libido enhancers, but its properties are not generally known.
Do it at home: Take a white onion, peel it off, crush and then fry in butter. This mixture can be taken daily with a spoon of honey, but make sure to consume this mixture when your stomach has been empty for at least two hours. This remedy helps to treat premature ejaculation, impotence and involuntary loss of semen during sleep or other times (known as spermatorrhea).
• Take ginkgo biloba. It can improve blood flow in vessels throughout your body, including your penis. In one study the herb helped men to have erections even after a prescription injection didn’t work. Use supplements that contain ginkgo biloba extract or GBE, the concentrated form of the herb. Take up to 240mg of GBE a day divided into two or three doses. You should notice a difference in four to six weeks.
An erection is the end result of a complex chain of events. Our brain sends signals to the genitals blood vessels dilate and the penis gets engorged. Meanwhile the veins that normally drain away blood get blocked. When a man cannot get or keep an erection the problem is called impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED). Common causes include blocked arteries, diabetes and nerve problems. Depression, anxiety and alcoholism can also be factors in fact, roughly 30 per cent of ED cases have psychological causes. Some medicines are also to blame especially those used for high blood pressure and depression.
Supplement your efforts:
• Buy zinc supplements and take 15mg to 30mg a day. This mineral has beneficial effects on the production of various hormones including the male sex hormones, testosterone. Take zinc an hour before or two hours after a meal.
• Dates are rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrates, vitamin B1, B2, B3, and B5. All these ingredients increase the sexual power, improving the overall energy and curing the erectile dysfunction.
• Take vitamin C. it helps blood vessels stay flexible, allowing them to widen when you need more blood flow. Take 500mg twice a day. Cut back the dose if you develop diarrhoea.
• Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oils or flax seed oil also improve blood flow. In the long term they can help lower cholesterol and prevent blood vessels from narrowing. Take 2 teaspoon of fish oil or 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil a day.
• Take a supplement containing 1000mg evening primrose oil three times a day. The oil contains essential fatty acids that promote good vessel health. Take with meals to enhance absorption.
• Some blood pressure drugs can contribute to erectile dysfunction, especially calcium channel blockers such as nifedipine (Adalat) and beta blockers such as metoprolol (Lopressor). If you take these drugs, ask your doctor if you can be prescribed something else that won’t produce the same side effects.
Lifestyle changes & Watch your weight:
Exercises helps keep off excess weight, improves blood flow throughout the body (including to the vessels that keep your penis working properly), boosts energy and reduces stress. Get 30 minutes of aerobic activity such as walking, jogging, swimming or playing tennis several times a week.
Give up smoking:
• Smokers are almost twice as likely as non-smokers to be impotent, according to American research.In the short-term, every time a cigarette is lit nicotine circulates in the blood, constricting vessels and restricting the rush of blood which is essential to triggering an erection. It also interferes with a valve mechanism that stops blood flowing out of the penis. Without this, an erection cannot be sustained.
• If you use tobacco in any form, give up now. Nicotine causes blood vessels to clamp down, impairing circulation. That means less blood can get to your penis.
• Smoking marijuana has a detrimental effect on performance, too, as do other recreational drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines.
Do something different in the bedroom:
• If your erectile problems are due to stress and emotions rather than something physical, there are lots of ways to get yourself back in the game. For example, enjoy bedroom intimacy without having intercourse. This takes the pressure off, relieving performance anxiety. Just get into bed and cuddle, massage each other or think of fun things to do that don’t require an erection.
• Keep variety in your activities. Boredom with the same old routine can hinder your ability to have an erection. Try new positions or make love somewhere other than the bedroom.
• Have sex in the morning. You may have more spark since your testosterone level is higher at this time of day. Plus you shouldn’t be as fatigued and frazzled as at end of a long day.
Talk to each other:
• If you keep the problem to yourself you are making it worse,talk about it with your partner.You both can make a solution for it.It may be due to your overworking in office or taking more stress of something like money etc.You and your partner will definitely try to find best solution instead of you alone.
Get plenty of rest and relaxation
• Try to get at least 6 to 8 hours sleep at night. Being fatigued definitely puts a damper on your ability to have an erection.
• Reduce your stress levels. Anxiety and anger are not conductive to the frame of mind needed for sex and worse still, anxiety causes your body to make a form of adrenaline that interferes with the physical process behind an erection.
• If you have trouble unwinding, practice some form of relaxation technique such as yoga or meditation. This can be as simple as spending a few minutes each day doing deep breathing exercises just focusing on breathing in and out.
Call the doctor?
If your inability to have an erection lasts for more than two months or recurs frequently, talk to your doctor.
It is important for any man suffering from ED to consider lifestyle changes and talk to a doctor before starting new medications, herbal remedies, or stopping a prescription medication suspected of causing ED.